We are so excited to launch our Knee-High Compression Socks in The Lab this week! Our Knee-Highs are the first of several compression products that we’ve been developing and that we hope to launch in the coming months.
Since our launch in 2018, we’ve been getting emails and DMs from our community asking about compression products and whether or not we plan on developing them. And for good reason! There are many reasons why most people can benefit from wearing light compression products to improve their health. Let’s dive into it…
What are Compression Socks and Tights?
Compression socks and tights are specifically designed to put therapeutic pressure on your calves or legs in order to promote enhanced blood circulation in your body. The blood in your body travels from head to toe. However, the blood in your feet and lower legs often have to work extra-hard against gravity to push the blood back up to the heart. As we get older, the veins in our feet are unable to push the blood as efficiently and the blood is more stagnant around the feet than we would like, creating uncomfortable swelling. Compression socks and tights put pressure on the veins and arteries in your legs, which helps the veins push the blood back up to the heart.
Compression socks and tights come in lots of different grades and strengths (8mmHg to 50mmHg), but anything 20mmHg and up would be considered “medical-grade” and is usually prescribed or recommended by a healthcare professional. Threads’ compression socks and tights are “light compression” (not medical grade), meaning they are 8-15mmHg and do not need to be prescribed by a healthcare professional.
Are Compression Socks & Tights Right For Me?
Compression socks & tights can be helpful for you if you are someone who is:
- On their feet all day - Wearing compression products can help reduce fatigue.
- Working a desk job - Wearing compression products can help circulation
- Pregnant - Blood volume increases in pregnant women, which can lead to swelling particular in legs and ankles. Wearing compression products can help the risk of getting varicose veins.
- Traveling or flying a lot - Long trips can lead to circulation issues (particularly if you’re not getting up to move around every hour or so).
- An athlete or works out a lot - Wearing compression products after working out can lower post-exercise blood lactate levels and reduce delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).
Our compression products have light graduated compression, meaning the compression is highest around the ankle and eases up as you get higher on the leg (for maximum comfort!). That being said, everyone is different and we recommend you consult with your healthcare provider!
Health Benefits of Compression Socks & Tights:
- Improves circulation in legs and feet
- Reduces swelling and pressure
- Minimizes pain caused by varicose veins
- Enhance lymphatic drainage
- Provides support for tired and achy legs
Note: Everybody is different! We recommend you consult your doctor or healthcare provider to make sure compression socks are right for you.
“Benefits of Compression Socks.” Pedorthic Association of Canada. https://pedorthic.ca/benefits-of-compression-socks/
- “4 Benefits of Compression Socks & Stockings”. The Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Centres of Ontario. https://www.parcofontario.com/4-benefits-of-compression-socks-and-stockings/